The deadline to apply to join CWEP in Spring 2023 is October 14, 2022.
Applications are accepted in the fall for those who plan on entering the program in the spring and in the spring for those who plan on entering the program the following fall.
Deadlines for applications are usually the second Friday in April and the second Friday in October each year. BSW CWEP accepts applications every fall and spring for the following semester.
Spring Deadline-April 7, 2023- Students who are eligible to enter the CWEP as of the following Fall semester, should apply by this deadline. This would be students who will have junior status or 56 credits by Fall 2022. If you will be enrolled in SWU 295 in Spring 2022 semester, this means you should be eligible to apply for this deadline.
Fall Deadline-October 14, 2022 - Students who are eligible to enter the CWEP as of Spring 2023, should apply by this deadline. This would be students who will have junior status or 56 credits by December 2022. If you will be enrolled in SWU 295 in Fall 2022 semester, this means you should be eligible to apply for this deadline.
Contact us with specific questions about your eligibility. Sending a copy of your Program of Study and/or transcripts will help us determine when you should be eligible to apply.
The application consists of:
- CWEP on-line application
- Unofficial transcript(s)
- Plan of Study
- Essay that addresses the 7 topics outlined below
- Watching the DCS Video entitled "Secret Superhero"
Please follow the steps below to apply for the program.
1. Collect your resume, unofficial transcript(s), and Plan of Study. Write your essay. Ensure that all these documents are saved on the device you will be using to complete the application and are saved as either MS Word documents (will have a .doc or .docx file extension) or Adobe Acrobat documents (will have a .pdf file extension).
- Resume - A current copy of your resume which includes each of the following: 1) educational experience; 2) employment and professional experience; 3) volunteer experience (be sure to include your volunteer placement completed for your Social Service Delivery Systems class, if applicable)
- Transcripts - Please include copies of your unofficial transcripts from all institutions with courses that you intend to transfer to ASU for credit and/or transcripts from all institutions with courses that will be applied to your BSW degree.
- Plan of study (if you have one) - Include a copy of your most recent Plan of Study or your academic plan that identifies when you will be in Field (SWU 412 and SWU 414). If you do not have a current Plan of Study, you will need to meet with an ASU School of Social Work academic adviser in order to get a Plan of Study. If you are unable to get an appointment prior to the application deadline, please turn in all other forms and work toward submitting your plan of study as soon as possible. You can schedule an appointment with ASU Advising here: Schedule with an adviser
- Personal essay - In an essay of 2-4 typed pages, address the 7 topics outlined below. In writing the essay, please comply with the following APA guidelines: one inch margins, double-spaced, 12 pt., Times New Roman font, use of headings and sub-headings, and inclusive of page numbers. Please also be sure your name is on the document.
1) My interest in working in the field of child welfare
2) My experience working with vulnerable children and families
3) My thoughts on working with parents who have abused or neglected their children
4) How I will manage my biases when working with people and families who are different from me or have different beliefs, values, or norms than me
5) Time management strategies I will use to manage a demanding workload that consists of actively working with parents, children, caregivers, and providers and also meeting multiple documentation deadlines
6) The strategies I will use to manage the stress of the job
7) My understanding of the contracted work term to which I would be obligated to DCS and my commitment to meeting that work term
2. Open the on-line application by clicking on the "Apply Now" button in the gold box in the top left of the page. Complete the application and upload all required documents (Resume, unoffical Transcripts, Plan of Study, Essay) when prompted. Note that the on-line form will save your entries for up to two weeks. The data you enter in the form is associated with your IP address. For this reason, if you are using a computer that is not private, you are strongly encouraged to open the application from an incognito window (in Google Chrome, click on the three vertical dots in the upper right hand corner and click on "New incognito window"). Additionally, because the form is saving your data, you will not be able to start the application over or go back past a skip question (e.g., which program you are applying for) unless you wait two weeks, use a different computer, or open a new form from an incognito window.