Field Instructors are professionally trained social workers employed by the affiliated social service agencies and are volunteers with the School of Social Work. They complete required certification training prior to hosting student interns at their agencies. Field instructors are committed to the professional development of new social workers, they use their time and expertise to mentor our students in their professional growth and development.
Criteria for Field Instructors
- For MSW & BSW supervision - MSW with at least two years of post-social work degree practice experience in social work. Social work professional licensing preferred (not required). The degree must be attained from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited social work program.
- For BSW supervision - BSW with at least two years of post-social work degree practice experience in social work. Social work professional licensing preferred (not required). The degree must be attained from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited social work program.
- Employment at an agency for a minimum of six months prior to becoming a Field Instructor.
- Completion of certification training.
Expectations of Field Instructors
- Complete the required Field Instructor training which includes an orientation to the School's curriculum and Field Education requirements.
- Assist the student with the development of a learning contract and performance expectations.
- Provide instruction to the student on a regular basis and a supervisory conference at a minimum of one hour a week.
- Develop specific practice opportunities which will enable the student to fulfill the expectation of the learning contract.
- Provide feedback to student, on an ongoing basis, as to performance and skill acquisition.
- Maintain and participate in on-going contact as arranged with the student and Field Liaison. It is highly recommended to have regular (monthly) communication with both the Liaison and student through zoom, email or phone calls.
- Communicate to the student and to the Field Liaison about any unusual opportunities, conditions, or problems as soon as they are evident.
- Involve the student in the preparation of the student performance evaluations during the semester.
If you would like to be considered as a Field Instructor, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.