Trauma and Bereavement (Graduate Certificate)

Home / Programs / Certificate / Trauma and Bereavement (Graduate Certificate)

Are you committed to helping others heal from grief, trauma and crisis? Do you wish to develop the confidence to support others through crisis intervention? This certificate is designed to build on your skills as you strive to be an engaged and empathetic mental health professional.

There is a growing need in society for health care workers and clinicians to be better prepared to help clients and patients experiencing trauma.

The School of Social Work graduate certificate program in trauma and bereavement prepares individuals to work in the field of death and dying as well as with trauma and bereavement in clinical, organizational and administrative settings. The program provides students with enhanced knowledge about grief responses and the effects of trauma. Students have opportunities to research an often under-explored topic while helping transform the sociopolitical management of grief, traumatic losses and end-of-life issues in contemporary society.

At A Glance

Trauma and Bereavement (Graduate Certificate)

Plan of study

The Plan of study is the required curriculum to complete the program.

View Plan of Study

Admission requirements

Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and the Watts College of Public Service and Community Solutions.

Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a bachelor's or master's degree from a regionally accredited institution in fields such as psychology, sociology and social work.

Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in the last 60 hours of their first bachelor's degree program, or applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in an applicable master's degree program.

All applicants must submit:

  1. graduate admission application and application fee
  2. official transcripts
  3. personal statement
  4. resume
  5. School of Social Work certificate application
  6. three references
  7. proof of English proficiency

Additional Application Information
An applicant whose native language is not English must provide proof of English proficiency regardless of current residency.

International students who need an F1 or J1 visa first need to apply to and be accepted into a graduate degree program prior to being considered for the certificate program. International students residing in the USA on other types of visas must adhere to all Graduate College policies and procedures regarding admission be considered for admission to this certificate program.

The personal statement, resume, School of Social Work certificate application (available on the department website) and three references (forms available on the department webpage) should be submitted to the School of Social Work.

The personal statement must be two to four pages, doubled-spaced; additional guidelines are listed on the application.

No more than two certificate courses may be completed before applying for admission to the certificate program.

Students should see the program website for application deadlines.